Healthcare ID regulations are becoming more common across the United States as local and state governments seek to make things easier on patients. Recently, one of the nation’s largest states became the latest to have healthcare ID regulations go into effect: Texas.
Texas has had healthcare ID regulations in place for quite some time. Section 241.009 of the Texas Health and Safety Code requires that a photo ID badge be worn by those providing direct care to a patient. However, new regulations now exist with the passage of Texas HB 2897 (2015).
What is Texas House Bill 2897 (2015)?
Texas HB 2897 (also known in the Senate as SB 1753) is an act requiring certain healthcare providers to display their licensed title while delivering care to patients. The act was passed in late spring of 2015, was signed into law and went into effect on September 1, 2015.
According to the bill, the ID badge of a healthcare worker must clearly state the worker’s licensed title. This is to help patients better understand who is caring for them.
The bill states that the following licensed titles must be spelled out on every badge:
ACUPUNCTURIST, AUDIOLOGIST, CHIROPRACTOR, CLINICAL NURSE SPECIALIST, DENTAL HYGENIST, DENTIST, DIETITIAN , LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE, MASSAGE THERAPIST, MEDICAL PHYSICIST, MEDICAL RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST, MIDWIFE, NURSE ANESTHETIST, NURSE MIDWIFE, NURSE PRACTITIONER, OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST, OPTOMETRIST, ORTHOTIST, PERFUSIONIST, PHYSICAL THERAPIST, PHYSICIAN, PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT, PODIATRIST, PROSTHETIST, REGISTERED NURSE, RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST, SURGICAL ASSISTANT, THERAPEUTIC OPTOMETRIST
The inclusion of a worker’s licensed title somewhere on an ID badge adds to the previous list of Texas' healthcare ID requirements, namely:
- The worker’s first or last name
- The worker’s hospital department
- The worker’s designation as a student or intern, if necessary
How can my organization become compliant with Texas HB 2897?
Badge Buddies are an excellent solution! Badge Buddies are role-recognition cards made of durable synthetic paper. Badge Buddies are used to complement an existing ID card. A Badge Buddy is attached to an existing ID credential with a clip and hangs behind the card, revealing the printed title at the bottom.
Badge Buddies are a great HB 2897 solution because most Texas healthcare facilities will already have some kind of ID credential system in place in order to be compliant with the aforementioned Texas Health and Safety Code. Re-badging an entire staff to include printed titles can be costly. Badge Buddies allow your organization to skip those heavy costs and instead complement your existing credentials with a simple solution.
- Badge Buddies are available in both horizontal and vertical orientations, and can be white or clear. White Badge Buddies are the most common; however, our clear custom Badge Buddies are excellent solutions for organizations that print on both sides of a credential. With a clear Badge Buddy, a worker’s ID will always be visible, whether facing front or back.
- Several stock options of Badge Buddies are available for immediate delivery in our online store, including several popular medical titles like PHYSICIAN and NURSE PRACTITIONER.
- The new Texas law includes a long list of specific titles. While we don’t have every title in stock, we do offer an online Design Your Own Badge Buddies tool that will enable you to get whatever title you need. You can choose the orientation, the material, the background color, text color and view a proof, right there on our website. With our custom Badge Buddies, there’s no excuse for not being compliant with Texas HB 2897!
Looking to issue new ID badges instead? IDenticard can help!
We understand that Badge Buddies won’t be the perfect solution for every organization. Some facilities may have been looking for an excuse to issue new badges, while others may have a badge overhaul on the horizon that makes Badge Buddies a bad fit.
However, if your facility wants new ID badges, IDenticard has you covered. We offer a variety of different ID card services, including custom ID cards with our Premium Badging Service and the blank cards, card printers, printer supplies and photo ID software necessary to run a quality badging operation.